Mesh strainer and siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spencecore24

Reaction score
I recently bottled an ipa i have been working on and used a paint strainer over my auto-siphon. Everything looked great! appeared as though all sediment was left behind! Now i am just wondering does using the strainer leave any valuable beer elements behind? yeast?

The yeast cells being microscopic would get through the mesh that were still in suspension. All the other settlings you don't need. It'll be fine.

You also want the beer to be clear,or slightly misty at bottling time. Even when bottled clear,the bottles will have a slight dusting of yeast dregs after carbonating/conditioning. It can't be avoided 100% with bottle conditioning. But it can be lessened greatly by allowing the beer to settle out clear. Or cold crashing. The mesh bag filter just helps as a last ditch move to make sure no particles get out to the bottling bucket.

I love the thin gray layer of yeasties that are on the bottom of each home brew...lets you know this is REAL beer!

Yeah,I'm glad I bought that fine mesh strainer from Midwest. I wanted less trub at bottling time,but realized it aerated the wort pretty well at the same time. Nice lil bonus! I love it when ideas work out better then expected.:ban:

Latest posts

Back