Aging at room temp in a corny

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WC87

Reaction score
I recently kegged an Old Ale - 6 weeks in the primary and straight to a corny. I pressurized the corny and have had it aging at room temp for 1 week now.

Question - I can cold condition this beer, but was curious as to the pros/cons of aging at room temp in the keg. I've checked pressurization and added CO2 when appopriate to maintain a good seal on the keg.

So, should I age at room temp, or cold condition? I looked thru the kegging FAQs and did not see this addressed.

Thanks.

Are you force carbonating or priming w/ sugar? If force carbonating, I would leave it on gas at serving temp for a week. If priming with sugars you have to leave it warm. Either way, the beer will not spoil for quite some time if you leave it at room temps. Like a year at a constant temperature is fine. I think its bad for the brew when the temps go up and down crazy like.

I'll be force-carbonating, but I only put enough gas pressure on the keg to keep it sealed for now. It still needs to age imo.

You could always go ahead and force carb you beer and then let it age once carbed so you wouldn't have to keep checking the seal.

True to an Old Ale style, conditioning at a cool, cellar temp is ideal. Room temp is just as well. Once you chill it, then you're getting into the chill haze phase and your beer will be on its way to clearing.

If it were mine...one more week at room temp and then plan to chill for 2 weeks (at 10 PSI) to insure a crystal clear beer.

Back