Orange and Black

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtman02

Reaction score
I'm putting together my first recipe: A sweet stout with orange flavors. Anyone have any experience with using orange peels for flavor?

I want to dehydrate my own if possible. Are some oranges better than others for homebrewing?

Should I add them toward the end of the boil or just in the fermenter?

I was thinking about 2 cups, but would that be enough for the flavor to break through in a stout?

Thanks in advance for any help!

no advice on the recipe, but in my experience using fresh orange zest gives much more citrus aroma than dried peel. You'll wear your arm out zesting fruit, but it'll give you a big fresh orange note that you just cant get any other way.

Blood orange zest is best, but any orange will add some flavor. Remember to not include the white pith of the orange skin on the zest, as the white section will add bitterness.
Add it to the boil in the last 5mins. and filter before adding to the primary.

My first brew was a fruit flavored stout... i hated it and didn't brew again for about a year!

Do what you want... But I would recommend brewing something straight up the first couple of brews. Then when all the variables are out of the way move into something more exotic.

Just speaking form experience...

Back