Is my barleywine becoming carbonated in the secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sofroglo

Reaction score
A week ago my barleywine had slowed down a ton in primary. It went from 1.087 to 1.019 in one week and was visibly slower in activity. I decided to rack to secondary. After a few days noticed a few bubbles floating up the side of the carboy, I have seen this to some degree before so I didn;t think anything of it. This morning I was checking it out, and to my suprise it was bubbling like all get, enough to be churning the dry hops around. Tomorrow morning I plan on racking it over to a third carboy, checking the gravity, adding another run of dry hops, and throwing it in the garage to force the yeast to the bottom. It is around 35 in the garage and hope that this will force the yeast into dormancy.

does all this seem right?

Sounds weirdish. But so is fermentation. Take a reading and see. and if you have a airlock or something that will let the CO2 escape then it can't be getting carbonated.

This isn't the first time that I have seen at least some carbonation in the secondary carboy. Every time it has happened has been with some form of english yeast (i know they call the or yorkshire ales "sparkling" because they had a natural level of carbonation in them after fermentation), so it my have something to do with the hard churning of the beer??? I am using a bobber style airlock as opposed to an s, don't know if that makes a difference or not. Either way I will find out tomorrow.

Back