Simple English Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

40watt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm aware that there are a lot of these threads, but I'm trying to do the opposite of what many brewers do.

I want just maris otter and Ekg. I might partygyle it and steep a little pale chocolate and mid range crystal.
I like a little chocolate in a barleywine, but could drop it.

I'd like to go a little north of 1090. I like the Fullers strain, but would be willing to try something else. Kind of tempted to try Notty.

I'll probaly get some clean bittering from magnum, but want it stay English in character. Just enough hops to compensate for what will drop out over time.

Any tips. I would post a recipe, but with my laptop DOA, I can't run it through beersmith. Keeping it conceptual for the moment.

I am planning a similar thing as you - a big maris otter/EKG beer. At this point I am trying to decide whether or not I want to conduct two mashes and make the barleywine out of the combined first runnings, or if I want to go about it as usual. I've had great success with partigyled bitters and milds before.

One thing I would suggest is forgo the magnum bittering and use a ton of english hops. The presence of all that plant material will lend a quality to the beer that I would think is more "authentic," even if the bu's from the magnum would be the same with less hops. I may even use whole leaf hops to really accentuate that character.

This would be my first Barleywine and first partygyle. That's one reason I don't want a lot of different specialy grains. I want a good base that I can tinker with.

Also very exited about making a small bitter or mild from the second runnings.

Latest posts

Back