Regulator dead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troyh

Reaction score
I have a fairly new perlick regulator, served maybe 6 kegs on it. I just kegged a beer, hooked up the has line to the keg, tried to give it a quick shot of 30 psi to seat the latch and nothing happened and I was getting no gas at all into either keg. It was working fine minutes before and the tank definitely has gas. After some fiddling to test each part of the system with no success, I took the (cheaper) regulator off an older CO2 tank and everything worked fine. I've concluded that the regulator has failed.

How could I have done that? Anything else I can test on the regulator? I find it hard to believe it just failed like that.

Thanks!

I am a dealer for Taprite regulators. I am not sure who you purchased this from, but Taprite is very good about standing behind their regulators. Call me tomorrow and I will help you with this. You did not have to purchase it from us for help. You can email me at [email protected] or call me at 325-356-5204. We might be able to troubleshoot this and figure out the issue over the phone. I am assuming you already tried to turn up the regulator and that did not work. It almost sounds like a stuck check valve, but that is just a guess. Can you send me a photo of the regulator so I can determine which one it is?
Todd

I just turned the regulator all the way up, down and back up again and that seemed to fix it. I think I heard a quiet pop too, which may have been the check valve coming unstuck (or just my imagination). Thank you!

It might be worth taking the regulator apart and checking just in case. Regulators can get beer "stuff" in them and grow funk over time. Close the tank valve, disconnect the outlet lines and open the shut-off valve to completely depressurize the regulator. When you open it up, there should be a rubber diaphragm over a very small orifice. Clean all this up really good if there is any "stuff" on it and dry it thoroughly. I have even put a little keg lube on the diaphragm to help keep it from sticking.

I usually disassemble my regulator about once a year just to make sure it's ship-shape.

Back