BIAB 7.5 gallon pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnchorBock

Reaction score
From what I can tell, for a recipe using around 11 lbs of grain you typically need about 6.7 gallons of water pre-boil to end with about 5.5 gallons in the fermenter. Would I be able to use my 7.5 gallon turkey fryer using the BIAB method? Would using some sort of foam control help?

Thanks

I have a 7.5 gal pot and BIAB. I have used 12 pounds easily in the kettle. You just have to be sure it'll fit by using a mash volume calculator and sparge in another (big) pot.

I have a 7.5 gal pot and BIAB. I have used 12 pounds easily in the kettle. You just have to be sure it'll fit by using a mash volume calculator and sparge in another (big) pot.

I just did it in a 7.5 Gallon keg with the top cut off last week. It boiled over alot and made a huge mess outside but I was able to collect my 5.5 gallons of beer in the end. The belgian wit came out to a 5.1% so I can't complain. That time I did my water in the big keg and boiled in the smaller 7.5 gallon keg. This last time I swapped it around and just heated a little bit of extra water on the stove. If you do boil in the 7.5 gallon I'm sure some fermcap would help a lot.

How I do my biab is if I dont have enough wort after the mash and Ive pulled my grains I toss them in a bucket and do a dunk sparge with enough 170 water to bring me up to pre boil volume. And with biab you squeeze the bag really well to get as much out as possible after the mash

Latest posts

Back