Yeast slant media recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spica66

Reaction score
In the Slanting Yeast sticky there are two conflicting recipes for the media.

On page one:
400mL of water
35g of DME
2.5g agar agar

On page eight:
500mL of water
7.5 grams of agar
35 grams of DME
5 grams of the nutrient

I would like to know if anyone out there has a recipe that never fails them. Something you have been been able to repeat with success. I have powdered agar agar, so my ideal recipe would use that. Thank you in advance for sharing!

I wasted alot of time and DME trying to get the powdered agar to work with no success. As soon as my agar agar came in from amazon I made up the media using pretty close to the same recipe as on page eight minus the nutrient.

I used the recipe on page one and used powdered agar. Worked well, but I did have some fluid in the slant, although I am not concerned as it is sterile. The agar slants are still good to go a month later. I used some this morning, and it is easy to poke the agar media with a inoculation loop.

I used the first one with agar from morebeer and they fell apart, used a recipe similar to the second and I have to boil the slants to get the media out after I make a starter.

I used the first one with agar from morebeer and they fell apart, used a recipe similar to the second and I have to boil the slants to get the media out after I make a starter.
Similar? Would you mind posting the actual recipe?

Spica66 said:
Similar? Would you mind posting the actual recipe?

Looked up my notes and it's the exact same recipe as the second, I just doubled it so I could fill more slants, I make about 200 a time since they store almost indefinitely.

Looked up my notes and it's the exact same recipe as the second, I just doubled it so I could fill more slants, I make about 200 a time since they store almost indefinitely.

Next time I need yeast I'm skipping MW and just calling sapper :D

My recipe I used was 250 ml h20
3.4g agar agar
17.5g DME

Taking into account everything I could read on the internet and the responses received from the fine people on this forum, I am going to use the following recipe for attempt #1:

1% = 1g/100ml

7.0% DME
1.5% Agar-agar
1.0% Yeast Nutrient

200ml Tap Water
14g DME
3g Powdered Agar-agar
2g Yeast Nutrient
Red food coloring

Spica66 said:
Taking into account everything I could read on the internet and the responses received from the fine people on this forum, I am going to use the following recipe for attempt #1:

1% = 1g/100ml

7.0% DME
1.5% Agar-agar
1.0% Yeast Nutrient

200ml Tap Water
14g DME
3g Powdered Agar-agar
2g Yeast Nutrient
Red food coloring

That looks like it'll work just fine but what's the red food coloring for?

I used some Agar flakes from Wholefoods (pricey but I didn't have time to order it). I used the recipe on page 8 and it set up fast and seems like a good balance. I gave a sharp slant (maybe too sharp) and inoculated my first slants and plates last night. That recipe worked well, but time will tell.

I also used the red food coloring, just a small bit, and it came out pink before I pressure cooked it. I think the heat denatured my color, cause it looks like dme mixed agar media, no extra color now.

Back