Do I aerate my bottle dreg starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeneugs

Reaction score
Hey guys, sorry if this has been discussed before, but I haven't seen this specific question answered yet...

I have a starter that I've been building up by using bottle dregs from various sours and adding fresh starter wort. It's about 1/2 gallon now and I plan on building it one more time to a full gallon and adding a few more bottle dregs. My plan is to do a complete fermentation with just the cultivated dregs. (no primary sacc yeast)

My question is, should I be aerating this starter? I tried to keep oxygen out as much as possible, even purging the growler with some CO2 before adding the starter wort and its still very active. I know that oxygen is not good for certain organisms like pedio, but good for others. And what about when I pitch this starter to the beer? Should I aerate like usual, or not at all? I really don't want a lot of acetic acid in this beer. I would like a more gentle, lambic like sourness. I plan on aging this for at least a year or two.

Any suggestions from experienced wild brewers would be appreciated. Thanks!

The aeration question really depends on the dregs and what is in them. You are correct about the lactic acid and Brett don't need oxygen, but you need to make sure that they will be the dominant organisms. It sounds like they would if you are seeing activity.

What does it currently taste and smell like?

Why don't you want to add Sacc?

Back