Recommendations on strains for a Soured Peach-Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

holabah

Reaction score
I'm looking to create a soured peach-cider and am looking for recommendations on what strain to use in this process. I've fermented six gallons of locally sourced UV pasteurized dessert cider to dryness with Wyeast's 4184 Sweet Mead yeast in primary, with 14 days with one ounce of toasted oak chips for the primary. I'm now looking to sour this with peach puree in secondary to achieve a nice tart slightly peachy cider with a hint of funk down the line. I'm curious what strains you would recommend for this process or any other advice on souring a cider. Since it's gone to dryness will the sugars in the puree be enough for the souring, or should I blend some fresh juice into the secondary?
I'm also looking to take a gallon or so of this juice and souring it with a blend of cranberries and roasted butternut squash as an experiment.
The only commercial sour I've encountered is a Brett soured cider by Three Fools in Corvallis, Oregon and have found it pretty good and hope to create a similar product.

Depending on how much sourness you want, you could add some Lactic or try Brett. Since the cider is dry and not much sugar, you probably won't get much sourness adding lacto or brett. I'd say mix the peach puree with some non fermented apple juice in a seperate container and add lacto. Test it every couple days. When it gets to the sourness you want either dump it into the original cider .. or pastuerize it and add it to the original batch. Brett in my opinion gives more funk than any sourness.

I have a sour peach saison working right now. Used wyeast 3724(?) belgian saison, and dregs from Gueze Boon, Cuvee Renee, and Drie Fonteinen. Has a nice color and thin Lacto peticille righ now at about 6months old. I just pitched everything at once and let it go.

So what I guess I'm saying is I would recommend a base yeast plus dregs of 2-4 sour beers that you like, and after about a year or two should be good.

I did a sour peach saison once that also had plums in it. However I didn't use bugs, I did a sour mash. It was really really good.

Back