Not sure if I forgot the Munich Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delucr

Reaction score
If I get the chance to run to my LHBS it's usually a rushed affair. In classic tradition I went to buy ingredients for an upcoming brew day and I can't remember if I missed an ingredient for my grain bill. I'm planning on brewing "Hoppiness is an IPA" out of "Brewing Classics Styles" by Jamil Z. and it calls for 0.75lbs Munich Malt. I don't have a grain mill so I used the stores and I brought home unmilled bags of 2-row and Caramel 40L because of the non-integer weight s called for in the receipe. Unless I threw out the 0.25 lbs of Munich Malt, it didn't make it into my bag. I tried weighing what I had on my bathroom scale to see if it matched the total grain bill weight. It did, but I don't trust my scales resolution to 0.75 lbs or my ability to have weigh out the 2-row precisely.

So.... is it better to have too little Munich Malt or too much 1.5 lbs?

Thanks for any advice.

-Rich

The Munich will affect the color, taste, and gravity. If you like a little malt backbone in your IPA you should probably get more Munich. If you like dry hoppy IPAs then skip it. If it were me I'd probably get more and then check my pre-boil gravity and adjust my hops if necessary. That way even if you add twice the Munich you can add more hops and the beer will still come out balanced and just a little higher in alcohol. Likewise though, if you skip it you can always back the hops off a little if the boil gravity comes in a little low.

If the wort is yellow you forgot the Munich. If it's orangish you added it. Good luck.

Back