Last Minute IPA recipe input

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmoney645

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am doing my first IPA. I have never done one before so I was hoping to get a little input on my hop schedule. I am using stuff I have laying around, so that is why the hop variety might seem a little odd. Here is the recipe, let me know what you guys think. Thanks!

I'd move the Columbus to a 60 minute hop since you only have 1/2 oz. of Galena for bittering. I'd make your Citra a flavor hop, use the full oz. and add at 20 minutes left in the boil. Move the Ahtanum to flameout for aroma. I'd also back off on the Munich to 1/2 lb., add 2 lb. two-row malt, drop the corn sugar entirely and increase the DME to 3 lbs. or whatever amount to get you around 1.060.

Here's a recent IPA batch I did and it turned out exceptional. If you have gypsum and calcium chloride, use it when you wash your grains. My efficiency was a little off so my O.G. was 1.060 on this batch. My F.G. ended up high with this yeast, about 1.020 so my ABV was just over 5%. But the taste was excellent.

6.0 lbs. Light Malt Extract – Northern Brewer Gold
1.0 lb. Light Dry Malt Extract – LD Carlson Gold Light
1.5 lbs. Caramel 10°L Malt Domestic Briess
2.0 lbs. American 2-row Malt - Rahr
8 oz. American, Carapils (Dextrin) Malt Briess
1.0 oz Magnum (pellets, 14.7% AA) boiled 60 min.
1.0 oz Zythos (pellet blend, 10.9% AA) boiled 25 min.
1.0 oz. Cascade (leaves, 8.9% AA) boiled 1 min.
1 tsp Irish Moss boil 15 min.
1 teaspoon Gypsum and 1/2 teaspoon CaCL2
Wyeast 1968 London ESB Yeast
¾ cup Corn Sugar for priming bottles or 1/3 cup corn sugar for kegging
Ferment for one week at 68 degrees F, rack to secondary and ferment for another week at 68 degrees F.

Back