Looking for a yeast substitude

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomcat

Reaction score
Got a good looking IPA recipe from a homebrewer friend which calls for Pacman yeast.
My LHS does not carry it so looking for good substitude..OG on this IPA is projected to be around 1.075-1.080.

Thanks

I think the only way to get pac-man is to culture it from a bottle of Rogue! It's their proprietary strain! I've never used it, but I believe that it is basically a super wyeast 1056, so if you don't want to grow it from Rogue dregs, that would be your best bet!

If you are looking for the high attenuation that Pacman appears to have, I would use the Chico Strain (S-05/WY1056/WLP001).

I think the only way to get pac-man is to culture it from a bottle of Rogue! It's their proprietary strain! I've never used it, but I believe that it is basically a super wyeast 1056, so if you don't want to grow it from Rogue dregs, that would be your best bet!

Pacman yeast is released periodically as a VSS from Wyeast (1764).

I think the brewing network "can you brew it" said that nothing is very close, but 1272 will fool most people, or something along those lines.

I would just culture it from Rogue. For the price of the yeast, you can have two beers, and the yeast!

Plus, it's fun and rewarding to do it this way.

Back