Software comparison/recommendation for iPad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatsSchindee

Reaction score
I've been using brewersfriend.com for recipe formulation and tweaking so far, and do like that site/software. But I'm looking for something that I can use without having to be online (I travel for work and want to be able to use it on a plane or in a hotel or airport that doesn't have free wifi). I read through a few software specific threads, but didn't see anything recent that compared programs specifically on the iPad and iPhone5 (both of which I have and use - my laptop is just about dead and I don't really use it since I have the iPad.

It looks like iBrewMaster2, iBrewMaster for iPad (ver1), BeerSmith Mobile, and BeerAlchemy Touch2 are the best options I see in the App Store (and please recommend any others that I don't see there!). Just as a reference for what I want/need: I'm a partial mash brewer mostly (still some extract only, and hoping to move up to BIAB all-grain stovetop eventually. I mainly want it for recipe formulation, and for the different brewing calculators used during brewing and bottling. And ideally, something that updates between the two devices so I can use my phone as well (though I usually always have the iPad with me, so that's not too big of a deal).

It seems like iBM2 has a lot of functionality, but had some bug issues when first released (that was a few months ago, though). I can't tell from reading the description, but can BSmobile be used only by itself, or do you have to have BS on a computer as a base program? I don't think you would, but some of the statements about syncing between the two make that ambiguous.

I just received an App Store gift card, and want to use it toward this, so cost isn't a big factor either (relatively, of course!). Thanks for any advice, warnings, and recommendations, iPad users!

image-2371648655.jpg

image-2798597960.jpg

image-3219447978.jpg

image-1089035131.jpg

I've been using ibrewmaster for a couple of years and just switched to iBM2 if there is a bug in the system the developer will find it and get it fixed. The developer is a home brewer and released numerous updates and improvements to iBM so I have no doubt he will continue to improve iBM2

I have an iPhone4 and use beer alchemy. It holds recipes plus inventory's and you can add ingredients if it doesn't have what your using already installed. I use it frequent on travel or at work or home. I think its a pretty solid app all round.

Back