Carbonation for jockey box

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poppy360

Reaction score
I'm planning on kegging a Raspberry Wheat in the next day or two. This will be my first attempt at kegging and using the jockey box (w/ chill plate) and I'd like to take an easier route just to begin.

Should I prime the beer when kegging (1/3 C priming sugar) or should I try to artificially carbonate the beer? The corny will be stored around 65-70F for approximately 3.5 weeks before it'll be tapped and drank.

As I said, this is my first use of the keg/jockey box and would like to start with a "sure fire" method and then branch off from there.

Any ideas/comments?

Connect the gas and set it to 17 psi and leave it till you are ready. That will give you just over 3.0 volumes for your wheat beer. Most wheat beers have higher carbonation levels.

When it comes time to dispense, you will have to crank it up to push it through the chill plate. I don't know what setting, but my jocky box needs about 30 PSI to push beer through the stainless coils.

Chill your beer to 38 degrees, then connect the gas and set it to 17 psi and leave it till you are ready. That will give you just over 3.0 volumes for your wheat beer. Most wheat beers have higher carbonation levels.

When it comes time to dispense, you will have to crank it up to push it through the chill plate. I don't know what setting, but my jocky box needs about 30 PSI to push beer through the stainless coils.

I think the problem is, he doesn't have a dedicated keg cooler/fridge. It's gonna take some high pressure to carb a wheat at room temp. Another disadvantage of trying to store warm and chill on the way to the glass is that you're going to create chill haze immediately. This is not a problem for wheats, but you might find it undesirable for many beers.

I don't have a way to chill the beer right now, besides a bucket and ice. I don't think that's consistent enough of a temp to really carbonate with. Plus, I have a second wheat keg that needs carbonation and I only have a one tap CO2 set-up.

So, I'd like to be able to carbonate the kegs at room temp (68F) and at the same time.

Should I go with priming sugar?

Back