Nut Brown Ale Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjohnson29

Reaction score
This is a spin on a traditional nutty ale, but it needs some critiquing:

6.6 lbs Munich LME
2oz willamette hops
Finely milled hazelnuts - not sure on volume or best time to add to wort...
Wyeast 3068

I can't claim this as my own bc I had it at a microbrewery that makes something very similar, but they do an AG with 100% munich...

Thoughts and critique are greatly appreciated

Is this a standard 5 gal batch? Can't tell you how much hazelnut without knowing batch size. Also, you may want to think about adding some sort of steeped grain. Brown Ales are all about the malt, and this recipe is relying on malt extract to deliver it. Might want to think about steeping some sort of pale chocolate, C75, or perhaps biscuit or aromatic malt to add complexity and depth to the malt profile.

Yes, sorry. Its a standard 3g boil 5g batch. Would I be best to steep the nuts like I would with the malt or add to the last 15 min of the boil?

Depending on how much hazelnut flavor you want, you could start with as little as half a pound to about a pound or so. My gut says to put it as close to the end of the boil as possible. What you may even want to do is crush them, roast them in the oven (~400 F should do the trick) on foil, then add them to secondary or when active fermentation has stopped, treat the addition like a dry hop. I say this because the volatile oils may be lost from excessive boiling, and you want to be roasting as recently as possible. Roasting also (should) sanitize, so you shouldn't have to worry about infections, so long as you roast long enough.

You could also split it, do a third with the mash, a third in the last 15, and a third roasted and dry hopped.

One other thing to think about, that I just realized is that with the nuts comes a lot of oil, and that oil could kill head retention. Consider adding some carapils or a hefty amount of crystal to the bill.

Back