True Brew Irish Stout very bitter and tangy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mddonelan

Reaction score
Back at the end of January I purchase a brewing kit from True Brew along with one of their Irish Stout Kits. I went through the all brew process and everything went very smooth until..... I opened my first bottle.

After 5 weeks it has a very dry hoppy taste that is ridiculously strong. I do not know if this batch is suppose to taste like this or I really messed up because it definitely is not what I was hoping for.

I have read all kind of reviews that if it leaves a tingle it probably is contaminated which it does slightly.

My original pitch temp might of been a little high, and there was a slight change in temp during fermentation. Would of these factors caused these taste?

Any input is appreciated as I wait for my bass clone to condition so I can drink it.

I did an irish stout extract kit in Dec, and noticed the same thing at about 4 weeks in the bottle. It was all hops, obnoxiously.

3 weeks later, the hop flavor was almost non-existent. Just let it age a little longer and see what it tastes like. When I emailed my LHBS I was told "I TOLD you not to drink it yet!" and they were right. It changed alot in flavor week to week until it was all consumed. I wish I had just left it alone longer so I could see what it was SUPPOSED to taste like.

Back