Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mesa512

Reaction score
What kind of flavors would mix well with a Pale Ale. So here is what is going on. My friend loves pale ales, and I was telling him I just bought a kit to make one. He basically told me he is going to be rough when he tries my beer. So I want to prove him wrong and shut him up, but I don't think working with just the kit would do it. So what could I add into a pale ale to make it just a little better? Thanks

Do everything in your power to control the fermentation temperature. That seems to be one of the most problematic issues with making a great beer.

Research here about temperature control techniques: old t-shirt method, frozen soda bottles, ....

the list is nearly endless.

good luck

Do everything in your power to control the fermentation temperature. That seems to be one of the most problematic issues with making a great beer.

Research here about temperature control techniques: old t-shirt method, frozen soda bottles, ....

the list is nearly endless.

good luck

+ 1 on the fermentation temp control.

I completely agree on the temperature issue. Pales are about simplicity really, stick with the kit unless it gives you options in the instructions to "upgrade" - things like dry hopping, for instance. I wouldn't try to dry hop without knowing what hops the kit itself uses though. Also, is it a kit that comes with a can and requires you to add sugar? If so, you could try replacing the sugar with light dry malt extract from a homebrew shop.

EDIT: Also, conditioning is always a fine idea. These thing only get better with age. Make sure it gets at least six weeks from brew day to drinkies day.

So what could I add into a pale ale to make it just a little better?
Dry hops come to my mind but the balance of a Pale Ale is difficult to get just right. Sticking with the kit's recipe is probably best. Without knowing the recipe no one can tell you what to add.

Yeast will be a big player,IMO. Make sure it's a clean fermenting yeast like, Wyeast 1056,WLP001 or something similar. I think Nottingham is a favorite for Dry Yeast.

Out of curiousity, what is the ingredient list of the kit?

I'll mention water profile since it hasn't been mentioned yet. If you really want to go to every possible length to brew a great beer you should consider constructing your water profile to accentuate the desirable characteristics of pale ales. Pale ales aren't my thing but I do have a custom IPA water profile which would probably suit quite well:

Ca++ 200 ppm
Mg+ 10 ppm
Na+ 20 ppm
SO4-- 300 ppm
Cl- 200 ppm
HCO3- 0 ppm

Back