Make 24 quart stock pot into mash tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big_muddy

Reaction score
I'm new to home brewing. I got into it as something to do when it is too cold to backpack.

I purchased a 24 quart and 35 quart stainless steal stockpot set to get into brewing. I use the 35 quart kettle for full volume boils, and it has worked well for my two extract brews.

I like the idea of steep mashing, and would like to try that, my question is could I convert a 24 quart kettle over to a mash tun? It seems like it would work, given that people mash in five gallon coolers, and 24 quarts equals six gallons (math skills means I haven't had enough IPA yet).

Also, if I were to step mash on my stove in the kettle, should I use a false bottom that connects to the ball valve via a high temp tube.

Thanks for your help and feedback

Big Muddy

No reason why it won't work. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-big-your-mash-tun-needs-123585/ . Note you can only hit a 1.059 OG brew with a 5 gallon....of course you are at 6, so I guess you can hit around 1.071? (if my math scales)

I'd figure out some way to insulate your new mash tun....some high temp insulation, or low temp insulation that you can easily remove, would help you not lose temps so much, but you might not care so much if you are doing step mashes.

Out of curiosity, why so serious about step mashing? With 95% of the grain you can buy, you only really need a single infusion at a single temperature...(no need for the complicated rest schedule that less modified malts call for...)...

A stock pot like that would work well for "oven mashing", basicly you mash in and put the kettle in a warm oven to avoid temp drop...perhaps easier than insulating or heating on the stove.

Oven mashing, what a great idea. Shorty, I knew most grains today were pretty heavily modified, but didn't know that a single temperature mash would be fine for most of them. I also have a rubbermaid 5 gallon drink cooler, that I've already modified with a ball valve. Given your insight, it looks like it does make more sense to just install a false bottom on that.
Thanks for the great feedback and advice.

Back