What to do with these ingredients?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArcaneXor

Reaction score
I have some leftover ingredients that should be used fairly soon before they go bad, and I was wondering if you have any recommendations as to what to make of this. This would be a small batch (1-2 gallons).

- 2.5 lbs Muntons Wheat DME
- 1.5 lbs Briess Amber DME
- Plenty of Crystal 40 and Crystal 60
- Assorted hops: Northern Brewer, Yakima Golding, US Fuggles, US Nugget (each 1-2 oz)
- Wyeast 1056 and Safale S-04.

Thank you for your suggestions.

I'd make a 5-gallon batch of not-quite-ordinary bitter. Use both extracts, maybe 1/4 lb of crystal 60, enough Nugget at 60 min and a 0.5 oz of Fuggle at 5-10 minutes to get ~30 IBUs. Ferment with S-04.

Should be high 1.03x's OG

4 pounds of DME is not enough to make anything except for maybe a 3 gallon batch.

+1 to "not-quite-ordinary bitter", or using .75-1lb of crystal (mix & match) and just an 60min addition of goldings (1oz), n. brewer (.75 oz), or fuggles (1oz) to get about 20-25 IBU and make more of a pale mild. I would use s-04, and it should be tasty. Good session beer.

I just brewed the following:

2.8 lbs Muntons Wheat DME
.3 lbs 40 lov Crystal
1 oz US Goldings @ 60
1 Whirlfloc @ 15
.15 oz US Goldings @ 5
.35 oz US Northern Brewer @ 5
Washed Wyeast 1056 (which took forever to be active in the starter)
Boil Volume: 2.5 gallons
Final Volume: 2.0 gallons

OG: 1.075!!!
Expected FG: 1.018
Expected ABV: 7.5%
IBU: 47 (probably should have gone higher, but oh well)

Planning on 3-week ferment in primary, no secondary.

Any suggestions on what I should call this? Extraordinarily Special Wheat Bitter?

mrk305 said:
4 pounds of DME is not enough to make anything except for maybe a 3 gallon batch.

Really? 4 pounds of DME in 5 gallons gives you a 1.036 OG. Right in the middle of the range for an ordinary bitter. Could also make a Scottish 60/- or 70/-, an English mild, Souther English brown, dry stout, Berliner Weisse

Steep enough of the crystal to get up to 1.040, and a lot of other possibilities come into play -- blonde ale, american wheat, special bitter, northern english brown.

Not all of these would work, obviously, with the other inredients he has on hand. But he can certainly make more than 3 gallons of something.

I just bottled this monster - final gravity was 1.016, which makes for 7.7% alcohol. Not bad. The hydrometer sample tasted decent, so I am looking forward to seeing what it'll be like in 3 weeks... or 3 months, if I can wait that long.

Back