New Brew Frame, Now What???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scripto

Reaction score
Just had a new brew frame built, based on some diagrams which I found while browsing the net. I originally wanted to purchase the frame from rubystreetbrewing.com but it was just too much money. As I am working with a limited budget I had a friend help me build this frame CLICK HERE at his shop, now I need to figure out the pluming, as well as the bare minimum equipment I need to get started with batch #1. Any help would be appreciated as I have not much experience with this, I have gone on a few tours, read a few books, took a crack at Mr. Beer. A majority of my experience is in my consumption :mug:.

Wow, that is beautiful. I wish I could weld. My brew stand was a result of being kicked out of the kitchen too.

Plumbing.
I got the black pipe and other iron fittings at Home Depot.
The propane hoses came from Ace hardware
I got the burners at Williams Brewing (I got the whole burner with stand and cut off the legs and used the ring as a shroud).
A few parts came from online. I'll see if I can find the orders and links.

I never did get around to installing the needle valves.

Thank you, the only problem right now is that it is being used right now to hold the extra paper towels instead of brewing delicious brew. Did you follow any sort of pluming diagram? Did you go with HERMS or RIMS? Thanks!

Bare minimum equipment - are you planning on jumping right into All-Grain? You already have a brew stand, which is anything but bare minimum! If you've built a brew stand, it looks like you are moving towards a 3-vessel single tier all-grain system, but there is a lot of equipment you'll need to get started with that setup.

If you want bare-minimum, you could look at BIAB, or "maxi-BIAB" which allows you to do all-grain brewing in a single vessel - but then you wouldn't really need a brew stand.

If you can provide some more details on your intent, the community could more clearly steer you in the proper direction.

Thank you, the only problem right now is that it is being used right now to hold the extra paper towels instead of brewing delicious brew. Did you follow any sort of pluming diagram? Did you go with HERMS or RIMS? Thanks!

RIMS. I am way to lazy to mess around with HERMS.

I'm going to out in the garage later on today. I'll put together a parts list of sorts.

Bare minimum equipment - are you planning on jumping right into All-Grain? You already have a brew stand, which is anything but bare minimum! If you've built a brew stand, it looks like you are moving towards a 3-vessel single tier all-grain system, but there is a lot of equipment you'll need to get started with that setup.

If you want bare-minimum, you could look at BIAB, or "maxi-BIAB" which allows you to do all-grain brewing in a single vessel - but then you wouldn't really need a brew stand.

If you can provide some more details on your intent, the community could more clearly steer you in the proper direction.

We have been brewing in our kitchen up till now. We have a big daddy aluminum kettle, and all the other accouterments for home brewing. Been brewing extract up till now, will switch over too partial grain, and then hopefully all grain. I want to get to a 3 vessel system, but don't know which way to go. Looking for some advice from those who have been in my shoes previously. Any help is appreciated.

Since you have a single tier, you've shoehorned yourself a little bit. Unless you had something to get a 2nd level in there to make use of gravity, the only way to move your liquor around will be through lifting (no fun) or pumps ($$$).

That said, your best bet to move towards AG would be to build a MLT next. You can likely do so for under $100 with a cooler from Lowes / Home Depot and purchasing parts from brewhardware.com or bargainfittings.com

Back