of a proper age and maturity...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkecw

Reaction score
so i've been pondering lately, has anyone either come across, or better yet done experiments leading to some data concerning an optimal window for aging and consuming certain beer styles?

I've always been a proponent of letting the beer tell you when its ready, for however long it might be. But before I repeat anything someone else has documented, I'd like to know, for example, how long a bottle conditioned German Pilsner will take to hits its sweet spot, both in terms of long enough to properly clarify and refine its flavors, but not too long as to lose its wonderful hop characteristics.

while I generally feel that longer is better for cold conditioning lagers, a recent comment from Jamil on the Brewing Network about the changing characteristics of pilsners had me a bit concerned.

so, assuming proper sanitation and trying to minimize O2 pickup from primary to secondary (if used) to bottle conditioning, what are your thoughts?

cheers

Back