Lubricating cam-locks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whiskey

Reaction score
So I switched over to cam-locks and find that they are pretty tough at times to close. Has anyone tried to lubricate them, maybe with keg lube or something similar?

This may sound like a smart a%& answer but not meant to be. If you push in firmly as you push cams down it should close easy, If not use a bit of graphite lube on the cam lobe. Being careful not to spray any in the fitting. Graphite lube is very heat resistant and lasts for years.

This may sound like a smart a%& answer but not meant to be. If you push in firmly as you push cams down it should close easy, If not use a bit of graphite lube on the cam lobe. Being careful not to spray any in the fitting. Graphite lube is very heat resistant and lasts for years.

Not SA at all. I was looking at my graphite powder as well when I thought of the keg lube. I assume they will loosen up a bit once they get used more, but a couple are really binding.

I use keg lube on mine, works pretty well. :mug:

Good to know, I'll give it a shot, otherwise the graphite may be a good bet.

Thanks.

Silicone o-ring will make them a little easier. As the cams wear in they will loosen up.

Keg lube as suggested works fine too. Vaseline on the cams will work if you don't have keg lube.

Silicone o-ring will make them a little easier. As the cams wear in they will loosen up.

Keg lube as suggested works fine too. Vaseline on the cams will work if you don't have keg lube.

Thanks Wayne,

Yeah I actually bought them from you in January (they sat in my project box for a few months) and they had the white silicon o-rings already installed.

I'll just use the keg lube for the short term, until the cams wear some.

BargainFittings rocks by the way.

I was wondering the same thing. I recently switched to camlocks, and the feeling of metal on metal feels very unnatural. Same with tri-clamp collars. Good to hear keg lube will help alleviate the resistance.

Another option for lubrication is to melt paraffin onto the metal contact surfaces. A hair dryer or heat gun and a brick of paraffin is all you need.

This being said, I haven't had the need to lube my camlocks yet.

Back