Too much Fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

accroul

Reaction score
This might seem like a silly question, but I've been thinking about it too long not to ask. Is it possible to use too much fruit in a must? What happens if I use more fruit that is required for my batch size?

This might seem like a silly question, but I've been thinking about it too long not to ask. Is it possible to use too much fruit in a must? What happens if I use more fruit that is required for my batch size?

Well, it depends on what you're making. In a grape wine, you really can't use too much fruit, since it's all fruit. But in something like a cherry wine, it can come out very tart and very astringent, especially if the fruit was very acidic to begin with. Some fruits will be fine, even using 100% fruit for fermentables (like apples for an example).

What are you making?

The idea in most any wine is to get a balance between residual sugar, alcohol, acid, tannin, and flavor. Too much fruit can over balance the rest. And as mentioned, with something like cherry, cna end up with an overly tart wine. Actually, cider I have going right now may require some added sweetness to make up for tartness of the cherries for that very reason. :)

Latest posts

Back