Opinion on my spring ale - overkill?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgmartin000

Reaction score
Howdy folks....

Looking for some opinions on my upcoming concoction. I did this as a partial mash about a year ago, and it actually came out OK. It was one of my first recipies, after brewing for about 6 months. I've decieded to come back and try it all-grain. I'm looking for something with a big nose, yet not too big - some sort of a fresh, citrusy spring type beer. Not too bitter with a strong aroma. Here goes:

5 gal batch. 1056 yeast from the dregs of some centennial blonde. mash at 152, 1.5 qt/lb. 60minute boil.

OG = 1.057
IBU = 35 (I brew in Denver, so only get about 80% hop utilization)
SRM= 7

5 lb 2 row
5 lb white wheat
1 lb flaked wheat
8 oz honey malt
0.5lb munich 20L
0.25 lb crystal 60
5.6 oz acidulated malt (to get my mash pH down to about 5.5room temp)
also adding about 3.75 g CaCl2 and about a gram of gypsum to the mash and the single batch sparge. I use EZ Water.

hop sched:

1 oz cascade 60 min
1 oz cascade 10
1 oz centennial 10
1 oz citra 3
1 oz amarillo 3
1 oz each of falconer's flight, citra, and amarillo at knockout. Let steep for 15 minutes.

dry hop with 1 oz each of cascade, citra, and amarillo for 14 days, then add 1 oz each of falconer's flight and centennial for another 7 days.

Any thoughts? Is it overkill? Will the late hops add too much bitterness?

Edit - the partial mash recipe was 4 lb wheat extract, 2.5 lb 2 row, 2.5 lb wheat, 0.5 carapils, 0.25 honey, 0.25 munich. I generally tried to convert this to AG.

You have tons of different varieties of hops. You'll be covering up/masking flavors from each hop. Just too many hops in my opinion. Anything you add as a dry hop is pretty much going to cover the flavors of the hops at flame out. You're going to have hop scented perfume by the time you are finished.

Yeah, I agree, I'd probably abandon your steep hop addition and just use the dry hop schedule you got planned. I'd also consider moving your other additions to 15 and 5 to focus more on flavoring with those. Dry hopping with that amount of hops will get you all the aroma you could ever want.

Back