Will this pose any issues while boiling...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewLou

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a larger boil kettle. I have found a few deals online from local sites for kegs converted to kettles. What I am looking at is identical to this...

http://www.homebrewing.org/155-Homebrew-Kettle-With-One-Weld-Half-Barrel_p_1004.html

but it comes with brass fittings/ball valve already there. My worry is that I want to use this as a boil kettle. Will sitting it directly on the propane burner cause any issues with the ball valve/fittings down that low? I know with my current kettle (7 gallons) the flame can creep up the sides a bit. I am sure this will be a bit larger but I wanted to make sure I wasnt dropping 100-150 bucks on something that I wont be able to use how I want.

That's not a bad price for a new keg with a welded coupler. Wish I had seen that prior to my purchase...might have talked to them about doing my custom setup.

If you're concerned about it, I would look into BobbyM's heat shields. They work great and give the keggle an extra touch of professional. Be aware that they only work with certain types of ball valves...I know they work with the one's Bobby sells as well as those from Bargain Fittings, don't know about those from AIHB. I would also suggest stainless...in the long run, it's a better investment and I think looks better.

Yeah they have some really nice stuff there!

Wish I would have seen this site about 4 months ago. With a baby on the way I cant justify a few grand for some of the setups they have now, but back then I could have lol.

Priorities :)

As for the heat shield, thats a nice setup and gives me a new project to work on this weekend!

TY!

It has a brass coupler? IF I wanted a keggle without weldless fittings, I'd make damned sure the fittings welded in were stainless. Actually, every kettle, and keggle, I've seen has had stainless fittings when they were welded in. IF the keggle really does have brass fittings welded in place, I'd pass on it (seriously). You'd be better off going with weldless fittings in that case.

Kegs/keggles are about 15" in diameter, with the skirt helping to prevent flames from coming up the sides. You'd need a LARGE burner going really hard in order to get the flames to lick up.

BTW, I'm going to be silver soldering a 1/2" full coupler into my first keggle this weekend (a short pony) to be used as a HLT. Doing it more to get some experience soldering such an item, but also to see how it works out. Since I have the equipment to do this now, it's a viable option.

Golddiggie said:
It has a brass coupler? IF I wanted a keggle without weldless fittings, I'd make damned sure the fittings welded in were stainless. Actually, every kettle, and keggle, I've seen has had stainless fittings when they were welded in. IF the keggle really does have brass fittings welded in place, I'd pass on it (seriously). You'd be better off going with weldless fittings in that case.

Kegs/keggles are about 15" in diameter, with the skirt helping to prevent flames from coming up the sides. You'd need a LARGE burner going really hard in order to get the flames to lick up.

BTW, I'm going to be silver soldering a 1/2" full coupler into my first keggle this weekend (a short pony) to be used as a HLT. Doing it more to get some experience soldering such an item, but also to see how it works out. Since I have the equipment to do this now, it's a viable option.

It's got a stainless coupler.
You can get a stainless or brass valve that is screwed into it.

It's got a stainless coupler.
You can get a stainless or brass valve that is screwed into it.

You sure about that??

From the OP:
"but it comes with brass fittings/ball valve already there"

IF it's a 100% match to the one linked to, then it has a stainless coupler installed. But, if not, then...

To answer the OPs question; no, the fittings that low will not affect them.

You'll be totally fine with the valve. Make sure you get a glass face thermometer (not poly carbonate). If you get a sight glass and it's poly carbonate you'll want a hear shield from Bobby_M (see link above).

-Ben

Golddiggie said:
You sure about that??

From the OP:

IF it's a 100% match to the one linked to, then it has a stainless coupler installed. But, if not, then...
This. Double check with the vendor, but I SERIOUSLY doubt that welded bulkhead is anything other than stainless.

Golddiggie said:
You sure about that??

From the OP:

Click on his link. Stainless coupler and a choice of brass or stainless valve.
The brass valve is the first option on the list. Stainless is under that.

Back