low krausen early fall out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qtd3612

Reaction score
did 2 all grains 5 gallon batches on superbowl sunday.

Stout- used wyeast 1056 og 1.060 ( i know a little high)
irish red used wyeast 1084 og 1.060 ( little high)

Usually I have the krausen coming out of the blow off tube and it is goes crazy nearly everytime.

I am finding both beers which are in the same controlled fermenter chamber are acting the same.

The only difference I did this time on the 1084 I bought in the AM saturday and forgot it in the bag and it sat at room temp for about 30 hours before I smacked it.

The 1056 i took out of frig , smacked it and pitched both about and hour later into my yeast star on stir plate for 24 hours.

could the yeast sitting out that long be an issue?
Could the 2 packs that were not swelled very much not have been activated?

Both carboys have activaty with things moving around in the wort but both have very little foam /krasuen . the irish read has seemed to slow down bubbling at 48 hours.

chamber is set at 68 deg with a 68 /70 on the temp gage/sticker on the carboy. first 24 hours it was reading 75 on the carboy.

My biggest concern is the fact that I didn't have crazy krausen which I always get and if I screwed up the yeast by not letting it come to room temp and leaving it out too long?

I wouldn't worry about lack of kreusen, fermentations can be different from one time to the next and are influenced by factors beyond our control, such as: moon phase, barometric pressure, external vibrations, static electricity, etc, etc.

That being said, you are at the very top of OG for one smack pack, I think your yeasties are busy building a few billion more friends and will attack the task when they see fit. Hopefully you aerated well and It sounds as if you do have signs of fermentation, I'd wait about 3 weeks and check them with a hydrometer.

Back