Scottish Ale Yeast Starter Wyeast 1728

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khillian

Reaction score
Hey Homebrewers,

I am brewing a Wee Heavy this Saturday OG 1.081 5 Gallon batch, I picked up one vial of Scottish Ale 1728 which had a of date November 15th 2012. I first used Mr Malty and it recommended a 2.54 liter starter with stir plate. I only have a 2 liter flask, so I grew the starter from Sunday night to Wednesday then shut off the stir plate and put the flask in the fridge covered with foil.

Just found out about http://www.yeastcalc.com, according to its calculations I need around 290 Billion cells for this beer but my 2 liter starter only grew around 264 Billion cells. This tool allows you to step up a starter, but at this point I could decant and feed it another 1 liter of new starter wort to get 388 Billion cells which would be over pitching by 100 Billion.

What do yall think I should do? Leave the 2 liter starter decant and pitch around 30 billion short? Or Step down the starter from 2 liters to 1 liter (which for some reason sounds like a bad idea but I do not know why).

At this point, you really don't have time to do another starter step. Unless you delay your brew day by a day, or two. I would just cold crash the starter, once finished, for a day (24 hours), decant, let it get to room temp, and pitch the slurry. You're within 10% of the target amount, so you should be fine. Just oxygenate the beer wort really well before you pitch the yeast slurry.

Hey Homebrewers,

I am brewing a Wee Heavy this Saturday OG 1.081 5 Gallon batch, I picked up one vial of Scottish Ale 1728 which had a of date November 15th 2012. I first used Mr Malty and it recommended a 2.54 liter starter with stir plate. I only have a 2 liter flask, so I grew the starter from Sunday night to Wednesday then shut off the stir plate and put the flask in the fridge covered with foil.

Just found out about http://www.yeastcalc.com, according to its calculations I need around 290 Billion cells for this beer but my 2 liter starter only grew around 264 Billion cells. This tool allows you to step up a starter, but at this point I could decant and feed it another 1 liter of new starter wort to get 388 Billion cells which would be over pitching by 100 Billion.

What do yall think I should do? Leave the 2 liter starter decant and pitch around 30 billion short? Or Step down the starter from 2 liters to 1 liter (which for some reason sounds like a bad idea but I do not know why).

You would be probably be okay with a slight underpitch as the poster above suggested. If you want to pitch the right number, step up your starter. There's no rule that you have to use 1 litre exactly and end up with an overpitch. Use half a litre or whatever yeastcalc.com says will get you to your target cell count.

You can make a small starter tonight then pitch the whole thing tomorrow at high krausen and things will be perfect. With a starter that small (a litre or less), you don't need to worry about chilling and decanting. Pitch it 12 or 18 hours after you make it and you should be good to go.

Good luck!

Back