Questions for Carbonation and Bottling For Specific Situation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zoidberg

Reaction score
I use a Mr Beer fermenter and don't use a secondary. This is only my second brew and the first time around I followed a very simplistic Mr Beer guide for sugar for this very weak Classic American Light HME.

My second time was with a Dry Irish Stout, everything went well and now it's time to bottle.

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html?15745397#tag
According to this calculator using .09 for gallons (12 ounces), 68F for temp, and 2 for desired co2. It's telling me to use 1.6g of Corn sugar in each 12 ounce bottle. This is around .38 teaspoons according to this calculator. Is this accurate or not because it's assuming a priming solution in a bucket method? Should I use more or less?

On the Mr. Beer instructions it states using 3/4 of Cane sugar per 12 ounce bottle and I understand that it's for a style with a higher desired carbonation but it still seems quite a bit more. According to same calculator as above the 3/4 tsp per 12 ounce would aim for over a 3 for co2 volume.

Ran same numbers with beersmith and it states I should use the same. Am I wrong to assume I can use these calculators when not doing a priming solution with a bottling bucket?

Back