Efficiency Problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriorpoet

Reaction score
Mash H2O: 4.75gal
Sparge H2O: Calculation calls for 7.25gal. I added enough to bring it to 8gal in the LT if needed.
Mash at 152 for 60 minutes using the SMART Circulation. Went well.
Sparge at 168. Have trouble getting this dialed in with the correct flow. Sparged for 45 minutes approximately. Sparged to obtain 7gal in the boil.
SG at start of boil: 1.044. Needed 1.068. Added DME to bring to 1.072.

PROBLEM: I end up with too much wort still in the mash kettle. It was approximately 3.5gal. The wort was also a good color (I didn't take a reading of this left-over wort).

Questions: Should I have just run-off all of the extra into the boil?
Should I have less H2O in the LT?
I'm not sure if it is too much water or an inefficient sparge.
This is a consistent problem that I am not sure how to fix. Any help is appreciated.

Recipe:

Brewer: Beltane Brewing Email: -
Beer: Hat Trick Style: Belgian Tripel
Type: All grain Size: 5 gallons
Color: 8 HCU (~6 SRM)
Bitterness: 20 IBU
OG: 1.096 FG: 1.018
Alcohol: 10.0% v/v (7.9% w/w)
Water: RO Treatment
Grain: 12.1 lb. Belgian Pilsner
1.20 lb. Wheat malt
0.60 lb. Belgian Munich
0.60 lb. Belgian CaraVienne
Mash: 76% efficiency (this is what I got last time I brewed)
SMART System
Boil: 90 minutes SG 1.068 7 gallons
1.54 lb. Belgian candi sugar
Hops: 0.81 oz. Saaz (2.8% AA, 90 min.)
0.30 oz. Tettnanger (4.6% AA, 90 min.)
0.39 oz. Saaz (2.8% AA, 30 min.)
0.30 oz. Tettnanger (4.6% AA, 30 min.)
0.39 oz. Saaz (2.8% AA, 15 min.)
0.30 oz. Tettnanger (4.6% AA, 15 min.)
Yeast: White Labs Trappist X 2

Well, what is your conversion eff? What is your lauter eff? If you dont know those 2 numbers, it is hard to say what your problem is, if you dont know WHERE it is.

Also, wouldnt your candi sugar increase your SG a bit? That wasnt in there when you took the sample, right?

ProMash shows your Pre Boil gravity at about 1.062, at 76% Eff with your grain bill at 7.0 gallons pre boil. This leaves you with a POST boil of 1.086... but then you have to add the Candi Sugar in the boil.

You really cannot look at brewhouse eff. and start to troubleshoot a process. You need to get your conversion eff. and lauter eff. numbers, then you can look at the process.

Thanks, guys. I don't have those numbers today as I didn't hit my 'save as' button for my info! I will make sure to get readings from my First Runnings and then after Sparge. Those are what you need, correct?
My number for the boil at 1.072 does include the Candied Sugar and additional amount of 1lb of DME to bring it up.
I will go over the charts Grizly.
Pol, I had an efficiency the batch before at 76%, so that is where I input into the recipe...

Latest posts

Back