Any thoughts on a North American Export Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poindexter

Reaction score
Certainly one of mythree favorite styles, all time, is the export stouts made in the former British colonies.

Lion from Sri Lanka with its nutty notes, Sheaf from Australia has a strong plum/ raisin note, I could go on and on.

So I am thinking about doing a series of regional North American exports.

I am thinking for instance for SE USA I could look at Charleston, SC around 1840 or so and build a stout around Marris Otter, sugar cane and rice, with low alpha brit hops for the back bone and lots of spice options to round out the balance.

For NE USA I could use pumpkin and squashes to fill out the grain bill; I used maple syrup once before and it fermented completely away, bit of a waste. I recall there used to be hop farms out in western New York, identifying those varieties shouldn't be too hard.

I am confident for Pacific NW it would C hops and lots of them, not sure I even want to brew that one.

Pulling off a well rounded stout out of the upper midwest corn belt is going to take some thinking.

The wheat (and domestic 6 row) of the shortgrass prarie opens some potentials, though finding herbs to balance is a blank to me right now.

I have never used agave syrup, might be as useless as maple syrup in a stout at the SW corner.

And all I got for the Rockies is spruce tips.

So there is seven recipes and I haven't even looked at Canada yet.

I am shooting for 1.070 to 1.080 every time, inky black color, but I want each one to be unique, and evocative of far away places.

Please to chime in with, well anything really, this is the brainstorming phase. EDIT: The underlying priciple is to start with a relatively expensive shipment of barley and hops from England, add local ingredients and make more beer than expected.

Considering primimg the New England version with apple juice and maybe using a couple gallons of AJ in the corn belt.

Also thinking about maybe ditching Brit malt entirely for the wheat belt, use domestic 6 row and domestic wheat with Saaz and Tett the German immigrants reasonably would have brought. The latter will open the field to caramunichs and so on.

Back