Alcohol Tolerance Of WLP023 Burton Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coryforsenate

Reaction score
On their website, white labs lists WLP023 as having an alcohol tolerance of 5-10%.

Has anybody had trouble getting their beer up to around 8%? How about being able to carb naturally with an ABV of around 7-8%?

I'm very interested in making an ipa version of drifter pale ale (some fruity and very citrusy with hop bitterness) but prefer my ipas to be around 7-8% ABV.

i did a batch that was right around 8% and had no problems with the wlp023. it attenuated well. bottled and primed with cane sugar. it was fine.
it did have a slight tarty flavor to it compared to the us05 (split the batch after the boil). don't know if i'll use it in an IPA again.
i washed the yeast and used the wlp023 for the starter i pitched in a stout too, 7% and had no problems with it, didn't really notice the tarty flavor in that batch but i've only had one so far.

I did an IPA with that yeast. It went from 1.075 to 1.018 in 21 days. I racked to secondary at that time because I was going away for a few weeks. Came back 27 days later, and it was down to 1.012 - 8.4% ABV. I've used 023 several times, but usually with lower ABV brews. Never had a problem with it.

-a.

I did a holiday porter that was something like 7.2%. Fermented steadily for many days, as this yeast does, started about 1.068 down to around 1.014 and then sat for a little over 2 months in secondary. I bottled it and 4 weeks later I was carbed up and good to go. I find it attenuates better than White Labs tells you it will, this yeast is a champ.

Back