N00b! First batch in the morning question. Coopers IPA.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xhappyx

Reaction score
Hi there, greetings to all and thanks for reading this and thanks in advance to my question

I purchased all the brew equipment today after reading up for over a month non-stop about brewing, have that part down.

What I am confused about is... When I went to the brew shop I purchased a kit beer for Coopers IPA India Pale Ale. I purchased 1 lb. of corn sugar for priming the bottles once ready to bottle. Here is the confusion, Do I actually use the entire 3lb. bag of the dry malt extract when I brew? Or is that a little high or dead on?

The man in the brew shop said only a 15 minute boil as well. Is this correct?

Thanks in advance to answering my question. :)

Usually the Cooper's kit contain no extras. Everything you get goes into the pot, except for the carbonating drops ( sugar tablets ).

They usually are no boil kits.

You heat up about 2 liters of water and mix the dry ingredients into it IN THE FERMENTER then add in the canned liquid malt. Once everything is well mixed you add cool water to the proper temperature and up to the 23 liter mark, take a specific gravity reading then pitch your yeast and close up the fermenter. Let it go for about 2 weeks and if the specific gravity is the same for 3 days bottle.

If you are using priming sugar you have to have to mix it into the beer in a bottling bucket.

If you have the Cooper's fermenter you can use the carbonating drops and bottle from the spigot on the fermenter directly into the bottles into which you have placed the proper number of drops (sugar tabs).

bosco

For the coopers kits i normally add 1kg dme and 500g brew sugar. Works well and makes a nice beer.

your 3lb of dme should be fine to add it all as there is 2.2 lb to 1 kg and you have 3lb
It will be fine to add the lot and you should end up with a og at around 0.040 or slightly higher.

I went ahead and brewed last night (couldn't wait for today, ha ha!) and I just went ahead and used the whole 3lb bag of it. I still am learning about the hydrometer readings. I took them, wrote it all down and at what temp I took them, but I still am figuring out the math on my readings. Once I do that I will post. But, the beer is out there bubbling away. Right now I have a blow out tube going into a bucket of water in case it goes crazy. In a day or so, I will put the lock on top. But so far so good :) Thanks for answering you two. :)

I think it'd be okay to leave the blowoff tube on with the other end in a bucket of sanitizer sol'n until you are ready to take first grav reading (for me that's usually about a week after krausen settles back). Oh, and I spray with sanitizer sol'n the blowoff tube/carboy neck before removing.

OK, just did the math for adjusting with the temps I took the original reading last night and it is high. It is at 1.061

This is going to be some very strong brew! I think I just made rocket fuel.

I think it'd be okay to leave the blowoff tube on with the other end in a bucket of sanitizer sol'n until you are ready to take first grav reading (for me that's usually about a week after krausen settles back). Oh, and I spray with sanitizer sol'n the blowoff tube/carboy neck before removing.

I still have the blow out tube on it in the sanitizer solution, and so far it hasn't blown out, but it is very alive! I have a spray bottle filled with solution to spray things as well. So far so good. It is blowing lots of bubbles into the bucket and burping a lot :)

OK, just did the math for adjusting with the temps I took the original reading last night and it is high. It is at 1.061

This is going to be some very strong brew! I think I just made rocket fuel.

What was the OG supposed to be? 1.061 seems high but not extremely high.

Adding the extra extract, IMO, is a hit or miss proposition. You may unbalance the beer. I assume the kit had hopped extract and that the dme was unhopped.

Make sure you use the proper amount of corn sugar when priming. If you use too much you could create bottle bombs.

If I would have used the exact amounts on the kit, someplace around 1.051 so it is a bit high. Next time I will not use so much DME and do it exactly how the kit says. I just did what the guy in the brew shop gave me to use. So this is going to be a bit strong. I will be sure not to overdo the priming sugar. I don't want bottle bombs.

Latest posts

Back