All cooler drains the same?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Southwood

Reaction score
Hey all!

I know that time is money, so I'll keep this short & sweet. I'm planning my 1st AG mash tun. Are cooler drain holes all the same size, or do I need to settle on a cooler (& drain size) before I start buying the brass fittings?

Cheers! :mug:

No, they are not all the same size. With the larger holes and smaller valves it's a bit more work to keep it from sliding around, but food grade sealant works wonders here. Or you could just torque everything down tight. I personally like to use the larger valve like the ones on brewpots for my MLT as well, then all of my high temp hose fit everything.

Just to add, I got the 60qt Igloo Cube, I like it but the existing drain hole is set up at an angle going upright. I used a 45 degree angle and a 1" pipe to bring incoming pipe from the ball valve back down to the braid or manifold. If I redid it I would have just gone with a barb from the elbow to a line, but the 1" 3/8th is kind of stuck.

Also check the clearance around the spigot and the cooler wall. I purchased a blue rubber maid 5 gal cooler from Walmart on which the spigot was recessed aprox 1 1/2" into the cooler wall, whereas a Home Depot model was only recessed about 1/2" the walmart one wouldn't work (at least not with a really long pipe nipple and a bunch of washers), becuase the handle on the ball valve would hit the side of the cooler.

Back