Water profile for our hefe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kuhndog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Just plugged in some numbers on EZ Water 3.0 and here is what I'm coming up with....

Original Water:

pH - 7.2
Ca - 40
Mg - 7.0
Na - 8.9
SO4 - 31.6
Cl - don't worry about it...our charcoal filter removes it
Hardness - 275, I think it's on the CaCO3 side.. because my our township says it's temporary hardness...not permanent

Effective Alkalinity is 26
RA is -37
Estimated Room Temp Mash pH is 5.86 (what if the room temp is like 85-90) - what effect will that have?

I'm adding 1.5% of total wt of acidulated malt. We're adding some Gypsum, Calc Chloride, and some Epsom Salts.

My bottom line minerals are as follows:

Ca - 78
Mg - 12
Na - 9
Cl - 64
SO4 - 57
CL/SO4 ratio: 1.12

What do you think...do we have a winner or not?

Well, you are not working with all the necessary information. That is the great thing about EZ, it doesn't worry you with the fact that the water report isn't complete. Ignorance is Bliss!

You may not need worry about the chloride, but I can tell you that your filter doesn't remove it. If your water has chlorine, the filter might remove that. But its not the same. So there is a need to worry about it.

The Ca and Mg concentrations do not come close to producing the 275 ppm hardness value. I show those concentrations produce 129 ppm (as CaCO3) total hardness. Without the alkalinity, I can't tell what the permanent and temporary hardness are.

Overall, I don't think you need to worry about having a winner...you aren't getting out of the gate. Time to revisit the information with the water company.

Back