Oatmeal Stout Recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawle102

Reaction score
I have taken a recipe off the Beersmith website and upscaled it to a 10 Gallon batch. Any tips or critiquing would be much appreciated. THanks!

13 lbs Marris Otter(2 Row) US (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 65.0 %
2 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 2 10.0 %
2 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 3 10.0 %
1 lbs Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 4 5.0 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5 5.0 %
1 lbs Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 6 5.0 %
3.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 24.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 1.6 IBUs
2.0 pkg British Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1335) [124.21 ml] Yeast 9 -

I probably wouldn't add hops that late for any kind of stout. Stouts should have little to no hop flavor and no hop aroma. If you moved that 1 oz of Fuggles back to, say 30 min, you'd get the stylistically correct hop profile. Of course, if you're going for hop aroma and flavor, then by all means, go for it. My word is by no means law. Other than that, the grain bill looks pretty tasty, but again, not entirely to style, which I think is very cool. I very rarely brew to any particular style, so I am a very big fan of experimenting with stylistically unorthodox grains and style/yeast combinations. With the Special B in there, you could call it a Belgian Stout.

And for what it's worth, you don't necessarily need black patent in there. You'll be fine with just using roasted barley of course you'd have to increase it to get the desired color. I've never seen roasted barley that is 300 srm. It's usually 500. I second the hops advice^^ good point for the style.

leave it as it is, 10 gal lasts a while by the time you get to the last keg or box of bottles and the roastyness and hops flavours are fading you will be glad to have left it like that.

Back