My first Tripel - A Saga Detailing Absolute Patience

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eigenmusic

Reaction score
No, not really. I just opened a bottle two days after bottling; the rest were 24x 22-oz and are conditioning for the next few months in the only air-conditioned room of the house (75F). This was the last, 3/4-filled bottle and has been kept in my 90F+ room for the since 2009-09-30 (Tuesday), and I decided I wanted to give it a try so I tossed it in my freezer for an hour and popped the top for a surprising "hiss". Yay, it is starting to carbonate! :D

Unfortunately, that's about all it has going for it right now. Blegh. The sweetness is very "ugh!"-worthy, and the alcohol bite is quite pronounced.

This was something inspired by Homebrew Chef: Westmalle Tripel Clone Recipe. I used a slightly different hop schedule to accomodate my supply (similar %AA), and used Beer Calculus to confirm IBUs were in spec for the style. Everything went swimmingly (OG 1.070) and it spent 6 weeks in a glass primary, with a gelatin fining addition two days prior to bottling. I used a quart of Sugar #5 after a week in primary, so I have no idea what my technical OG was, but my FG was 1.012 after 4 weeks. I bottled with 3.5-oz demerara sugar boiled with my first cup of runnings from the primary during transfer to the bottling bucket.

I can definitely taste the Tripel behind the green-mask, though, so I'm not really worried and just can't wait to bite into it in a month (and again in three months); I thought my hydrometer sample two weeks ago tasted exactly like the Westmalle I'd had back in August. :tank:

Guess I just came here to get some... Ah, **** it. I came here to gloat. :fro:

Back