Question for grain mill hopper build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
Just received my crank and stein 2s (4 inch rollers) I am going to be building my hopper when I get off work today. I got my general design. My question is, how big should the hole be that feeds the grain to the mill? My friends mill looks to be about 8 inch rollers but there is only a 2 inch opening. Is that fine? Or can I get more grain crushed with a bigger hole? Or can that jam up my mill rollers?

Here's a picture of his.

image-3383273709.jpg

image-2021981737.jpg

My hopper runs nearly the entire length of the rollers. Jamming is not an issue.

Yeah....if the width of the opening is 8 inches, why would the aperture admitting the grain to the rollers be less? If jamming is an issue, it needs to be addressed separately from this question. Probably with more torque.

Mine runs almost the whole length as well with no issues. Here is a pic of my crude plywood hopper (although you can't see the inside).

IMG_20110226_162731.jpg

DustyTheBrewer said:
Mine runs almost the whole length as well with no issues. Here is a pic of my crude plywood hopper (although you can't see the inside).

I think I'm gonna make mine just like yours dusty. How tall is yours? And how much grain does it hold?

I took a piece of light gauge sheet metal and made a shield to go over the top of the rollers to direct the the grains to the center. I cut a slit in the center just a little shorter then the rollers and a cross slit at each end, then i bent the two tabs inwards towards the rollers a little. This keeps the grains from going around the rollers instead of through the middle of them.
grainmill3.jpg

Chrisl77 said:
I took a piece of light gauge sheet metal and made a shield to go over the top of the rollers to direct the the grains to the center. I cut a slit in the center just a little shorter then the rollers and a cross slit at each end, then i bent the two tabs inwards towards the rollers a little. This keeps the grains from going around the rollers instead of through the middle of them.
Looks good

This is what I ended up doing. It worked out pretty well. Definitely not as pretty as I hoped it to be but it gets the job done. It holds about 5lbs of grains. It's crushed the 5lbs in about a minute. SWEEEET!!!

image-49976101.jpg

image-992726239.jpg

image-16932948.jpg

Back