why partial mash this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abelseville

Reaction score
I ran across a partial mash recipe for a sierra nevada pale ale clone which called for partial mashing the crystal with 2 row. I keep reading that crystal does not need to be mashed since it's sugars are already converted. So whats the point? Is there some improvement in beer quality by doing this? And what specialty grains do require a mash to extract their benefits?

Mostly base grains and flaked grains-like flaked wheat--need to be mashed. You're right that crystal does not need mashed. The starches have already been converted by the maltster and you only need to steep these grains. I can think of no good reason, other than simplicity when doing all grain, for putting them in the mash.

The only reason I can think of for it telling you to do a mash with these is that it is a partial mash recipe calling for the pale malt to be mashed--which it needs--and they tell you to just throw the crystal in there for ease. However, if the 2 row isn't needed for the recipe and is only being included to convert the crystal then there is a problem with the recipe, because crystal doesn't need conversion.

If you mash the 2 row it is easier and saves you a step to throw the crystal in with it. It will work like a steep and extract the sugars from the crystal.

Yup, why mash then steep when you can just mash?

Also, I believe there may still be some conversion taking place with the crystal. I am not certain that ALL of the starch is converted during the malting/kilning.

The generic recipe for every partial mash is to take the specialty grains and mash them with a couple lbs of base grain. While you don't technically need to mash the steeping grains, it doesn't hurt, and you can just do it all in one pot at the same time.

Also, I believe there may still be some conversion taking place with the crystal. I am not certain that ALL of the starch is converted during the malting/kilning.

yep, there is a long thread by nilo here about his experiments with crystal malt. Appears you get both increased gravity pts as well as increased fermentability mashing with base malt.

Back