Using Pectic Enzyme - and Screwing it Up - HELP??!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScrewBrew

Reaction score
Hello all, I'm making a cider and decided to use Pectic Enzyme or the first time. I believe I used it improperly and I'm wondering what the effects will be. Maybe you can help me out.

I used 3.25 gallons of cider with a SG of 1.050. I added 1lb of honey which brought it to 1.055.

I heated 1 gallon of cider to add the honey. During the last few minutes I added some yeast nutrient AND 1/8 tsp of Pectic Enzyme. OOOOPS! I guess I'm used to brewing beer and adding things into the boil during the last few minutes.

A quick search on the net says most people add it to the fermentation vessel, wait 12 hours, then add the yeast. Well I added it during the boil!!! I pitched the yeast immediatelly after the cooled cider and remaining cider went into the carboy.

Am I in big trouble? The airlock was bubbling like crazy 12 hours later....but I've got some temperature issues too. Always an adventure!

i don't know about pectic enzyme specifically in this regard but most enzymes just denature above a certain temperature and are no longer active. i would not worry about the cooked enzyme and just add it again. the big question is why did you boil the juice??

I brought one gallon to a simmer so I could add and sanitize the honey. I'm pretty new to the cider business so please feel free to school me :)

To be honest, those of you who heat the honey really don't need to. Heating the juice will lead to the setting of pectins, which will make your cider cloudy unless you're using pectinase (aka pectic enzyme). There is no reason to pasteurise your honey or juice. Enzymes have an optimal working temperature. If you exceed this temperature the enzyme is denatured and will not work. I would add the enzyme in again in the same amount mixed with some warm water.

Back