Hop Project Update

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foonder

Reaction score
I just did some major & much needed maintenance on my hop garden today. I spent about 4 hours digging out the grass & weeds & plants that've grown through the mulch I put down, trimming my hop plants leaves & scraggly weak shoots, and laying down 2 more bags of mulch. It looks 1000% better now.
In some weird cosmic kind of strange timing, I was asked for updated pics on the trellis & whatnot, so here they are:
Full view of trellis:
trellisviewdt8.jpg

Side view of trellis:
trellissideview2kw2.jpg

My Chinook guys:
chinookswr0.jpg

My Centennial guys:
centennialskv1.jpg

These are all first year plants, and all have started to produce cones, Especially one of the Chinook plants. It's got cones exploding out all over the place. I will make another post with some noted pics.

Congrats on getting cones from first growths.

At the same time, if I'm reading the photo scale correctly, that trellis is about 1/3 the height it should be. My guy wires are about 15 or 20 feet high, and my second year transplants reached the tops long ago, then proceeded to flounder about and duck back down before snagging onto another guy wire and making it back up that one.

To me, it looks like that trellis is maybe 7 feet high at best. Either you need to go horizontal to another identical trellis 15 feet away, or you need to go higher.

Here are some pics with notes on it so you can better understand the dimensions & design of the trellis, and the way the hops are growing:

Front:
trellisviewmeasurementscb4.jpg

Side:
trellissideview2min5.jpg

Centennials training:
centennialstrainingic4.jpg

Chinooks training:
chinookstrainingkk4.jpg

I used different colors to illustrate different bines. The chinook on the left is the strongest of the plants (it gets sunlight first). The centennial on the left is the weakest (gets sunlight last). Left chinook is the one with cones all over the place.

If anybody wants any sketches, or has any questions on anything, lemme know.

Congrats on getting cones from first growths.

At the same time, if I'm reading the photo scale correctly, that trellis is about 1/3 the height it should be. My guy wires are about 15 or 20 feet high, and my second year transplants reached the tops long ago, then proceeded to flounder about and duck back down before snagging onto another guy wire and making it back up that one.

To me, it looks like that trellis is maybe 7 feet high at best. Either you need to go horizontal to another identical trellis 15 feet away, or you need to go higher.

This would be awesome if I wasn't 21 and living with my parents :eek: . I did the best I could with the space alloted. The way I trained the bines & designed the trellis net gave it extra length, I horizontally trained them from the beginning but only when there was enough length to have it growing straight up. Once it grew a few more feet up, I would train it across back in the opposite direction and have it pointing up to grow upwards again. I did this over and over until the cones started popping up, then I let the bines be so I wouldn't disturb or break any.

EDIT: Is that......Sam Calagione in your avatar pic...?
image.php
images

Back