Pair of Joe's Meads

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperiorBrew

Reaction score
Made a batch of Joe's Ancient Orange Mead and Joe's Quick Grape Mead today. Did the Leap Year Mead yesterday.
And I only have (4) 16 oz bottles of my first batch of JOAM left to tide me over.

I do have 11 lbs of clover and 1.5 lbs of buckwheat honey left and a brand new 3 gallon carboy.
Any interesting suggestions for a mead n00b?
SWMBO likes sweet meads & usually has to thin them out with some sprite or fruit juice so I guess I am looking for something sweet and possibly less potent than rocket fuel :D

meads.jpg

I have a few pounds of honey left over from LYM so I'm going for a ginger mead. I don't have all the details worked out but I know it's going to have a nice fistfull of fresh grated ginger. I think it would be nice mixed with some Sprite.

I had 2#'s of Honey left, and a 1/2 gal jug of apple juice from my Apfelwein (Guess It was just asking too much to count to 10).
Here's what I made:
½ Gallon Apple Juice
1 #’ honey
1# Brown Sugar
1 clove Whole
1 tsp Coriander seed
½ tsp Cinnamon
½ Gallon Water
1 Tsp Yeast Nutrient.
2.5 Grams (1/2 Pack) Pasture Champagne Yeast

Simmer Brown Sugar, Coriander, Clove, Cinnamon and Nutrient in ½ Gallon of water for 10 minutes, added honey and apple juice when cooled to 120. SHOOK THE CRAP out of it, and then pitched yeast.

I ended up with an O.G. of 1.098 I was hoping for something that would be a bit earlier to drink (Thinking this might need to age a bit). But it smells dang good.

champagne yeast is always gonna ferment fully, usually giving you dry or bone-dry mead.

If SWMBO likes it sweet, go with a low attenuation yeast. Either a really powerful ale yeast, or a weaker wine yeast (I posted a couple suggestions in the Cyser thread near the top of this forum).

Nurmey said:
I have a few pounds of honey left over from LYM so I'm going for a ginger mead. I don't have all the details worked out but I know it's going to have a nice fistfull of fresh grated ginger. I think it would be nice mixed with some Sprite.

Sounds good, might have to try it. Any idea on how much ginger? Are you planning on adding it right away or racking on to it?

BigKahuna said:
I had 2#'s of Honey left, and a 1/2 gal jug of apple juice from my Apfelwein (Guess It was just asking too much to count to 10).
Here's what I made:
½ Gallon Apple Juice
1 #’ honey
1# Brown Sugar
1 clove Whole
1 tsp Coriander seed
½ tsp Cinnamon
½ Gallon Water
1 Tsp Yeast Nutrient.
2.5 Grams (1/2 Pack) Pasture Champagne Yeast

Simmer Brown Sugar, Coriander, Clove, Cinnamon and Nutrient in ½ Gallon of water for 10 minutes, added honey and apple juice when cooled to 120. SHOOK THE CRAP out of it, and then pitched yeast.

I ended up with an O.G. of 1.098 I was hoping for something that would be a bit earlier to drink (Thinking this might need to age a bit). But it smells dang good.

I might try this with the S-33 malkore suggested in the cyser thread.

I'm only doing a gallon so it won't be more than 1/4 cup. I'm thinking I will put it in the primary, then taste when racking. I want the ginger to be prevalent so depending on taste maybe some will go in the secondary. This is just a guess so if someone has advice, I'll be happy to hear it.

I had a few really good oranges that we got from a truck driver that was over loaded yesterday. After getting SWMBO permission, I decided to go with a JOAM. I followed directions, except I tried to use some yeast that I salvaged and tried to wash from a batch of her Fat Tire Clone. The whole thing was fine this morning...But WOAH BABY! tonight it's filling the air lock about every 20 minutes. and I left a lot of room for foam. I only had a clean milk jug for the fermenter...so rigging a blowoff hose was a bit awkward.
Oh...Ya...I think I screwed up the wash...cause I smell...??? hops???
God Bless this hobby.

My grape one did that too for about 12-18 hours then settled down.

Back