Trub in my starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtheroux

Reaction score
I started with "whitebread" smack pack yeast. I brewed up a small batch of 1/3 cup and ?? Water to hit 1.04 og... But being a noob I added a couple hop pellets to help prevent infection... Did a 15 min boil and pitched yeast at about 60ish( thermometer craped out half way threw)... Aerated the **** out of it and it sat still for 2 days at 71f(will be my batch fermentation temp)...

Then yesterday I found a larger flask and stepped up the starter with 1 cup of Dme and 1l of water... Areated the **** out of it and it fermented in 18 hrs but there is a ton of Trub on the bottom?

Did I step up to fast? Adding the second part with 1 l of wort?

I read alot of stuff you write revy... So is there step up size recommendations? Only add so much wort to a starter?

And.... I'm not brewing till Saturday and my starter is done... I just put it in the fridge till Friday night... Decant with a syphon... Let warm as I boil... Does that sound good?

Back