how long until you should be able to see plants coming up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matteo57

Reaction score
I planted some Rhyzomes about 1-1 1/2 weeks ago and was wondering how long it usually takes before you start seeing growth?
Looking forward to growing some hops yo!

Thanks!

I planted 3 weeks ago chinooks up in northern az. I just got sprouts yesterday after I had assumed they were dead or I had over watered or something. So I'd say you got another week and a half, but this is my first hops growing attempt so what do I know.

Mine were in the ground for about a week when I noticed the first little shoots breaking the surface

planted 2 rhizomes this year (all other plants were crowns), and it took 2 weeks for one of them to break the surface.

the other still hasn't sprouted. if it doesn't in another week or so i'll declare it a loss.

One of mine took a week, another two weeks, the other I'm checking religiously, but nothing yet..

About 1 week and a half for my cascade and williamette last spring. My hallertau still had not come up 3.5 weeks, so I dug down very carefully. Realized it was trying to sprout, but I had buried it too deep. It never got as tall as the other 2. Hoping it does well this spring though.

I planted 2 weeks ago and my nugget, hallertau, williamette, and cenntennial are all coming up. The nugget is 4 inches with huge leaves. The others are an inch with small leaves. My 2 cascades on the other hand are no where to be seen.

All of my rhizomes surfaced within 2-5 days. They are in pots of vermiculite with a little fertilizer added. They need to be in the ground asap.

Hmm Ok. I guess I will keep watering and see. I planted them right after I got home from the homebrew shop. If none of them at least sprout out I'm going to be pissed!

Make sure they didn't dry out especially if you have sandy soil. Also how much soil is covering them?

I planted Nugget, Cascade, and Centennial almost 4 weeks ago. No sprouts yet.

The daily temps here in North Idaho are (on nice days) getting into the mid-50s, night-time temps down to about 35. I understand that the hops want soil temp to be steady around 65, is this why? Hopefully patience will make it all worthwhile.

My teamaker and cascade rhizomes were planted on the same day. The teamakers are now over a foot tall and the cascade has just broke the surface.

I planted 2 weeks ago and my nugget, hallertau, williamette, and cenntennial are all coming up. The nugget is 4 inches with huge leaves. The others are an inch with small leaves. My 2 cascades on the other hand are no where to be seen.

I take everything I said back...now I have no sprouts. The are all trimmed clean at the dirt. When I went out to check them there was a young robin hopping around next to them. Would a bird like a robin eat my sprouts? We do have a few rabbits around here. its a residential neighborhood.

I take everything I said back...now I have no sprouts. The are all trimmed clean at the dirt. When I went out to check them there was a young robin hopping around next to them. Would a bird like a robin eat my sprouts? We do have a few rabbits around here. its a residential neighborhood.

It was probably the rabbits. You can keep them away with cottage cheese.

You mean take cottage cheese and dump it around my plants?

LOL idk:D I know that casein is a repellent of rabbits from seminars that I attend. It's kind of new science. Casein is the protein in cottage cheese so I am not sure whether you can place it nearby or if they have to eat it. I would experiment with it or the powder on the leaves at the lower parts of the plants or around the plant. It couldn't hurt the plants or the animals if rabbits are eating it. At 5:00 AM every day I drive to work and see rabbits eating the same weeds and grass at the neighbors houses. They come in when you don't see them. They will leave poop droppings nearby probably if they are there.

A week and 6 hours after planting and the first rhizome broke ground! :rockin:

Two more to go. Then I'll know where to put in the trellis system.

Latest posts

Back