beer in primary for 18 days, want to bottle, but still bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sirenus

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm on my third batch of beer, an English style bitter, which I planned to leave in my primary for two or three weeks and then bottle. However, I'm on day 18 in the primary and there are still a few small bubbles regularly coming out of the airlock. Is this normal? My last two beers, a stout and a porter, both stopped bubbling after 9 or 10 days.

Does anyone here have an idea of what might be going on? Do you think it would be ok to bottle this bitter this weekend? Do I need to wait until all the bubbling has completely stopped?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Only way to know for sure that it's ready is to take hydrometer readings. Take at least one (I usually just wait 3 weeks and take a reading to confirm it's at a reasonable/expected FG), but preferably take two a couple days apart. If the readings are the same, then it's done fermenting.

At this point,it may just be off gassing dissolved co2. Take hydrometer readings 2 days apart to be sure it's done fermenting. If/when it's at FG,then give it 3-7 days to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty. Then prime & bottle.

Just remember that bubles really mean nothing. Take a gravity reading, and then go back 2 or 3 days later and take another gravity reading. If the readings are the same, then you are safe for bottling. If not, just wait. Bubles are just a sign that gasses are being put off, and nothing more. Gasses are always being put off, and sometimes we see them through the airlock, and sometimes we don't. There are a various many reasons why this occurs, but just know that this has nothing to do with if the beer has reached final gravity. The only way you know that is to take a reading.

Good luck! :)

Back