Wyeast German Ale (1007)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daedalus

Reaction score
Is this typically a slow fermenting yeast? I have an Altbier brewing and I think that when I transfered to my secondary that it was actually still fermenting.

It's been in the primary for at least 2 and a half weeks. I wanted to check gravity but my hydrometer broke.

There was a bit of foam (krausen) on the top when I opened my pail. When I racked it to the carboy (gently I might add) it seemed to go away. When I checked on it this morning, there was a thick 1-2" foam head on it again.

I've never experienced this.

The yeast did get roused when I moved the primary bucket. Maybe I reactivated it?

This shouldn't pose a problem should it?

Also, I'm fermenting this at ale temps. Will this pose a problem since it should be fermented at about 60 degrees F?

I use 1007 all of the time for alts. I typically ferment at 66-68 and they turn out just fine. However, my experience with 1007 is that it ferments normally, IOW, I've never had one take more than 5 days. Don't worry about it fermenting again in the secondary. I don't "secondary" my alts, but I do give them a lagering phase of 30 days or so. They always turn out fantastic.

Latest posts

Back