WLP 007, never used and now worried

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bferullo

Reaction score
I caught my fermentation temp hitting almost 74. It was probably there 24 hours max, but it was the first 24 hours. Since then I have gotten it down to about 67. Am I going to be screwed with ester production?

The recipe is for a northern english brown, so esters are suppose to be few to none.

I find this yeast produces near undrinkable beer at temps over 68F, namely producing a fruity-tangy-tart flavor. However, maybe you'll get lucky. In the future, the cooler you can ferment with this yeast (and S-04, wy1099) the better. 62-64F, internal temp, is about ideal.

As bierhaus15 said, prepare yourself for an exciting world of esters. I mean, you may get lucky and not be overwhelmed with them, but I've found that 72-76 F is a great temp to get buckets of cherry, apple, and pear notes into a beer with that yeast. I didn't find I got much tang or tart with 007 the way I do with 002 though (both in ordinary bitters though).

Back