Another Boil Over Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billc68

Reaction score
I made an Irish Red from Extract, about 5 -10 minutes after adding by boiling hops I had a minor boil over, but there was what looked like a lot of hops on the side of the pot and on the stove top and on the lid (I won't use a lid anymore)

Will my beer be under hopped?

Quite possibly. If a fair amount of the hops boiled out, they likely weren't in the pot long enough to break down the hop resins for bittering the beer. However, all is not lost. You will still have beer when you are finished. It just might be a little sweeter/maltier than you wanted. The other alternative is to dry hop the beer after primary fermentation is complete. It won't increase the bitterness, but it will give more hops flavor/aroma.

By the way, you shouldn't boil with the lid on. It tends to promote a cream corn or vegetable flavor in your beer.

I was thinking I shouldn't use the lid, for boil over reason, however in my "Joy of homebrewing" there was a pic of a pot with the lid on the stove.
But then again, I am absorbing so much info, I am sure some has slipped out.

I may not have lost as much hops as I though, the pellets seem to expand extremely so what looked like a lot that boiled over, seemed pretty insignificant when I strained out the hops after.

You can keep the lid on to help heat your water or wort faster to get it to boil more quickly, but once it is boiling, you should take it off.

Since you are reading Papazian, I know it's a little cheesy, but his RDWHAHB motto is a good philosophy to live by. It really takes a lot to completely ruin your beer. In most cases, the beer will just taste a little different than you anticipated.

Keep the lid off, or half-off to allow the DMS to escape. Set a fan to blow across the top of your brewpot to reduce boilover. Also you can "ride" the temperature if you're using gas. Turn the flame down when it looks like it's going to go over. It usually only boils over once per extract addition, then the proteins coagulate and it doesn't foam up.

Back