I have screwed up..any ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
Somehow in my brain I read through the partial mash thread ( great BTW) And got that and all grain mixed up in my head...........I bought 9 pounds of malt yesterday...got it and the barley etc all ground...bought the hops, and then realized I do NOT have a pot big enough to do this...and no way to get one right this minute. I have two 12 quart pots...a couple of 6 quarts but no way one big enough to do an all grain batch......I have thought of splitting it into two 2-1/2 gallon batches but still think I am way short on volume. any ideas?
HEEELLLLLPPPP!!!! lol!!!

You need about 14 qts of volume to mash 9 lbs of grain at 1.25 qts per pound.

Split the mash into a 12 and a 6 and you will be fine at that water to grist ratio.

You'll probably need both of those 12 quarters to do the boil, so you'll have to clean the one you mashed in out, not a big deal.

What about sparging? I just started the water to heat up and my thermometer busted. Stopped everything and wife is headed to town for a new thermometer.

Heat water in something else, as much as possible at once. Boil it even, just get a bunch of it and put it in a bottling bucket or even a regular bucket until you need to sparge. If it's hot enough, you won't need to add much boiling water to get it to the proper temp.

Sounds like you will have a very panicky day. Just don't worry too much. It's amazing how many things can go wrong and you still end up with good beer........It just won't be repeatable :)

Latest posts

Back