What honey type for a spiced cyser?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarmanTTLB

Reaction score
I'm trying my hand at a cyser for the first time, and the recipe I have calls for a "medium to full bodied" honey. In addition to the honey, water, and cider, it adds brown sugar, raisins, and dates. Once in the secondary fermenter it'll have some cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves.

I locally found some Buckwheat honey, and had it described as dark, very molasses-like, and perfect for stronger meads. It seems like this would be a perfect match. However, the seller suggested Pepper Honey or Bamboo Honey instead for this recipe.

What do you folks use?

Thanks!

I generally use local wildflower honey...the apple is what really should stand out anyway...

Regarding the "pepper honey," I assume you mean honey from the Brazilian Pepper Tree...I have tasted this honey, and it is a nice honey...while it's not something that I might choose to make a pure varietal mead with, I'd think it would make a great cyser.

You will find mixed opinions on buckwheat mead...I personally like the taste of the honey, but have yet to try a mead made with it...

I wouldn't use buckwheat for my first cyser. It can make a good cyser, but often takes a lot of aging and has a strong flavor that is definitely not for everyone's tastes. Something light in color with a flavor that is less phenolic might be a good idea.

A good local wildflower might work, and there are many choices depending on what honey you can find. Down here in Florida, Tupelo works well, and palmetto honey can be good in cysers. Up in your area, cranberry honey might work well.

Latest posts

Back